Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity — Psalm 39:5
Why is man naturally interested in vanity? The reason is that, the fallen nature of man naturally responds to vanity! All you need to do to prove this further is go to YouTube and see how many times a video bothering on rumour, sensuality or scandal has been viewed.
If a comedian uploads a video where he has just joked about churches, pastors, the name of Jesus, and sensualities; within 24 hours of uploading the video, it will attract tens of thousands of viewers! Why? The fallen nature of man is only interested in vanity — anything that has no godly content!
We live in a generation where people worship vanity; consciously or unconsciously. Vanity didn’t just come upon this generation like a thief in the night. Rather, this generation lives and swims in vanity because from childhood, their hope and interest have been built on nothing else but vanity.
- Can you read the text scripture today by heart? How relevant is this scripture to our study of today?
- What do you understand by “godly content”?
- Vanity includes activities and lifestyle that has no godly content. Explain
- How can you identify a lifestyle or activities that is void of godly content?
- Why do people prefer vanity to godliness?
- If you were to raise a set of children within a period of 5 years, what are the things you will do to ensure those
- children develop godly interest that will shape their lives forever?
In Jesus Name, I refuse to naturally respond to vanity. I consciously develop a godly orientation to life; and I respond to the things of the Spirit by faith – as an act of the will.